Thomas Brooks (1608–1680) was an English non-conformist Puritan preacher and author. Much of what is known about Thomas Brooks has been ascertained from his writings. Born, likely to well-to-do parents, in 1608, Brooks entered Emmanuel College, Cambridge in 1625, where he was preceded by such men as Thomas Hooker, John Cotton, and Thomas Shepard. He was licensed as a preacher of the Gospel by 1640. Before that date, he appears to have spent a number of years at sea, probably as a chaplain with the fleet.
After the conclusion of the First English Civil War, Thomas Brooks became minister at Thomas Apostle’s, London, and was sufficiently renowned to be chosen as preacher before the House of Commons on December 26, 1648. His sermon was afterwards published under the title, ‘God’s Delight in the Progress of the Upright’, the text being Psalm 44:18: ‘Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from Thy way’. Three or four years afterwards, he transferred to St. Margaret’s, Fish-street Hill, London. In 1662, he fell victim to the notorious Act of Uniformity, but he appears to have remained in his parish and to have preached as opportunity arose. [More via Wikipedia]
The Complete Works of Thomas Brooks:
- A Memoir of Thomas Brooks – pdf, 62 pp.
- Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices (2 Corinthians 2:11) – pdf, 166 pp.
- Apples of Gold (1 Kings 14:13) – pdf, 118 pp.
Also titled, “The Young Man’s Duty and Excellency.”
- The Mute Christian Under the Smarting Rod (Psalm 39:9) – pdf, 114 pp.
- A String of Pearls (1 Peter 1:14) – pdf, 70 pp.
A funeral sermon, eulogy, and elegy for Mrs. Mary Blake.
- An Ark for all God’s Noahs (Lamentations 3:24) – pdf, 136 pp.
- The Privy Key of Heaven (Matthew 6:6) – pdf, 163 pp.
Or, A Discourse of Closet Prayer.
- Heaven on Earth (Romans 8:32-34) – pdf, 234 pp.
Or, A Serious Discourse Touching Well-Grounded Assurance.
The Complete Works of Thomas Brooks, Volume 4. (449 pages)
[pdf epub mobi txt web via Internet Archive]
Containing the following: The Crown and Glory of Christianity (Hebrews 12:14), or, “The Necessity, Excellency, Rarity, and Beauty of Holiness.”
- The Golden Key to Open Hidden Treasures – pdf, 259 pp.
- What are the special remedies, means, or helps against cherishing or keeping up of any special or peculiar sin, either in heart or life, against the Lord, or against the light and conviction of a man’s own conscience? – pdf, 31 pp.
- What is that faith that gives a man an interest in Christ, and in all those blessed benefits and favors that come by Christ? – pdf, 4 pp.
- Questions pertaining to the final judgment – pdf, 210 pp.
- Paradise Opened – pdf, 152 pp.
- A Word in Season – pdf, 183 pp.
- London’s Lamentations on the Late Fiery Dispensation (Isaiah 42:24-25) – pdf, 312 pp.
- The Glorious Day of the Saints’ Appearance (Colossians 3:4) – pdf, 22 pp.
Or, Christ is the Life of Believers.
- God’s Delight in the Progress of the Upright (Psalm 44:18) – pdf, 29 pp.
- Hypocrites Detected (Isaiah 10:6) – pdf, 22 pp.
- A Believer’s Last Day is His Best Day (Ecclesiastes 7:1) – pdf, 22 pp.
- A Heavenly Cordial – pdf, 26 pp.
- The Legacy of a Dying Mother – pdf, 24 pp.
- Master Indices.
Want to discuss something pertaining to Thomas Brooks? Leave a public comment below (subject to moderation), or send a private message to the webmaster.