Ezekiel Hopkins (c.1633-1690) was an Anglican divine in the Church of Ireland, who was Bishop of Derry from 1681 to 1690. He was born in Devon, and was educated at Merchant Taylors’ School and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he was a chorister from 1648 to 1653, and graduated B.A. in 1655 and M.A. in 1656. After 1660 he was assistant to William Spurstow in Hackney, but he conformed after the Act of Uniformity 1662, becoming a lecturer in London. In 1666, he became minister of St Mary Arches, Exeter.
Lord Robartes appointed Hopkins his chaplain on becoming Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1669. In 1670 he became Dean of Raphoe and the following year Bishop of Raphoe. His translation to Derry was in 1681. In 1689 he returned to England, becoming preacher at St Mary Aldermanbury, and dying on 19 June 1690.
Hopkins married, first, Alicia Moore (d.1681), a niece of Sir Robert Viner, sometime Lord Mayor of London, to whom he dedicated his Vanity of the World. By her he had two sons, Charles (1664–1700), poet and dramatist, and John (born 1675), the author of Amasia. In 1685, at Totteridge, Ezekiel Hopkins married his second wife, Lady Araminta Robartes, the eldest daughter of John Robartes, 1st Earl of Radnor, by his second wife, Isabella, daughter of Sir John Smith. By his second wife he was the father of Francis, who was the grandfather of Sir Francis Hopkins M.P., 1st Baronet of Athboy, Co. Meath. [from Wikipedia] [A memoir of the Life of Ezekiel Hopkins, from his Select Works]
The Works of Ezekiel Hopkins:
Death Disarmed of Its Sting. (482 pages)
[pdf web via Google Books]
- Of Patience Under Afflictions (James 1:4) – pdf, 121 pp.
- Of the Consideration of Our Future State (2 Corinthians 4:18) – pdf, 25 pp.
- The Christian’s Triumph Over Death (1 Corinthians 15:55) – pdf, 16 pp.
- The Sting of Death is Sin (1 Corinthians 15:56) – pdf, 21 pp.
- Of the Resurrection (John 20:26–27) – pdf, 40 pp.
- Of the Last Judgment (2 Corinthians 5:10) – pdf, 149 pp.
- Of Our Redemption by Christ From the Curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13) – pdf, 92 pp.
- The Doctrine of the Two Covenants (Romans 10:5-10) – pdf, 204 pp.
- Of Glorifying God in His Attributes (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) – pdf, 268 pp.
- Of Baptism (Ephesians 5:26) – pdf, 58 pp.
- Of the Lord’s Supper (John 6:54–55) – pdf, 67 pp.
- The State and Way of Salvation (Hebrews 6:9) – pdf, 67 pp.
- The Beauty of Holiness (Proverbs 3:17) – pdf, 40 pp.
- The Virtues Which Adorn Religion (Titus 2:10) – pdf, 76 pp.
- Of Withdrawing From Such as Walk Disorderly (2 Thessalonians 3:6) – pdf, 51 pp.
- Against Rebellion (Proverbs 17:26) – pdf, 31 pp.
- A Practical Exposition on the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) – pdf, 210 pp.
- A Catechistical Exposition of the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) – pdf, 49 pp.
- A Discourse Upon Providence (Matthew 10:29-30) – pdf, 28 pp.
- A Discourse Concerning the Use of the Holy Scriptures (Colossians 3:16) – pdf, 37 pp.
- An exposition on the first commandment (Exodus 20:1-3) – pdf, 118 pp.
- An exposition on the second commandment (Exodus 20:4-6) – pdf, 39 pp.
- An exposition on the third commandment (Exodus 20:7) – pdf, 25 pp.
- An exposition on the fourth commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) – pdf, 32 pp.
- An exposition on the fifth commandment (Exodus 20:12) – pdf, 108 pp.
- An exposition on the sixth commandment (Exodus 20:13) – pdf, 24 pp.
- An exposition on the seventh commandment (Exodus 20:14) – pdf, 13 pp.
- An exposition on the eighth commandment (Exodus 20:15) – pdf, 21 pp.
- An exposition on the ninth commandment (Exodus 20:16) – pdf, 33 pp.
- An exposition on the tenth commandment (Exodus 20:17) – pdf, 12 pp.
- A sermon on John 7:19 – pdf, 25 pp.
- A sermon on Galatians 3:10 – pdf, 14 pp.
- A Memoir of the Life of Ezekiel Hopkins – pdf, 2 pp.
- The Doctrine of the Two Covenants – pdf, 111 pp.
- The Nature and Necessity of Regeneration (John 3:5) – pdf, 95 pp.
or, The New Birth
- The Almost Christian Discovered (Acts 26:28) – pdf, 63 pp.
- A Discourse on the Nature, Corruption, and Renewing of the Conscience (Acts 24:16) – pdf, 30 pp.
- Discourses Concerning Sin – pdf, 221 pp.
- The Folly of Sinners in Making a Mock at Sin (Proverbs 14:9) – pdf, 14 pp.
- The Great Evil and Danger of Little Sins (Matthew 5:19) – pdf, 32 pp.
- Of Abstaining From the Appearance of Evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22) – pdf, 22 pp.
- The Nature, Danger, Aggravation, and Cure of Presumptuous Sinning (Psalm 19:13) – pdf, 82 pp.
- The Dreadfulness of God’s Wrath Against Sinners (Hebrews 10:30–31) – pdf, 31 pp.
- Of Pardon and Forgiveness of Sin (Isaiah 43:25) – pdf, 39 pp.
Want to discuss something pertaining to Ezekiel Hopkins? Leave a public comment below (subject to moderation), or send a private message to the webmaster.